Review: The Forgetting Curve (Memento Nora #2) by Angie Smibert

| Tuesday, June 26, 2012
The Forgetting CurveThe Forgetting Curve by Angie Smibert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I want to thank Net Galley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Aiden Nomura is a teenager who likes to hack. He believes hacking opens doors for him that will ultimately expose what the universe means. When bombs start going off and TFC centers start opening up in Europe, where he goes to school, he knows things are changing. When his cousin Winter suddenly has a breakdown, he returns to the United States to find out what is going on. He meets others who believe the new chip being introduced, and implanted into people's heads, is there to control them, and it wipes their memories clean.
From the very beginning I knew I was going to like this book. It reminded me of the movie Total Recall, which I love. I don't normally read science fiction but this was a mix of sci fi and dystopian, which made it even more interesting. The short chapters were great in helping move the story along. And I wasn't distract by the three different points of view that were presented, as I normally might be in a fast paced book.
From the beginning I like Aiden. He's sassy and smooth. He knows how to work the system to get what he wants. His character is easy to follow and easy to like. And he cares about his family, immensely. He doesn't want to see them get hurt. He goes out of his way to make sure they are safe. And Simibert does a great job of writing from a male perspective.
Aiden's cousin Winter is also extremely likable. She likes to be different. She dies her hair different colors, and creates sculptures out of all different kinds of materials. She's young, but spunky and comes across as older than her almost 15 years.
Velvet is another spunky character. And she and Aiden really click quite well. But the small romance that buds doesn't get in the way of the story line, which is nice. Although, I have to say that their connection is quite instant and I am not a huge fan of insta-love. And she is obviously confused as to who she wants since she kisses Aiden then turns around a few chapters later and kisses Spike. But since the love aspect is not a huge part of the story, ti doesn't really affect the main theme.
This was a very fast read. I was not aware that it was the second book in a series, but it read like it was a stand alone. There was a cliffhanger of an ending, but again I think it could definitely be stand alone material if need be. Now that I know there is a book before this one, I can understand why some things seemed a little off to me, why there didn't seem to be enough information given in the book ( most likely because it is contained in the first book of the series!). From the other reviews I have read, it is essential that you read the first book before this one, but I don't agree with that.
This book is a very quick read. Fun and fairly light.
I give it 3/5 stars.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next Prev
▲Top▲