Review: A Demon Made Me Do It (Demonblood Series #1) by Penelope King

| Friday, May 25, 2012
A Demon Made Me Do ItA Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was really great. Nothing that I expected. This is my first reading strictly based on demons.
Lucky and Liora are two parts of a whole. Lucky is the demon side whereas Liora is the human side. Because of a tragic indecent, their soul was split in half and they have been living this way for 5 years. Liora remains human during the day, while Lucky comes out at night.
I really love how the book is written from the two different points of view. We get Liora's side: the caring, loving human who knows she will never live a normal life. The human who hates demons because of what they did to her friends years ago. The human who wants nothing to do with her demon half. Then we see Lucky's side: the frisky demon who believes nothing can harm her or stop her from her mission of finding the demons who killed her friends. She feisty and sexy, all the things Liora is not. And she dislikes Liora because due to her human side, Lucky still feels pain, sorrow and love while she wishes she could just be down with emotions completely. The differences between them are drastic.
They both fall for the same guy, Kieron, who turns out to also be a demon. He's a gorgeous mixture of sex and love. He's a bounty hunter after the same demons Lucky hunts. But, while she wants to slay these demons, he must bring them back alive to receive his freedom. Kieron falls for both Lucky and Liora and they, in turn, fall for him. In the end, he helps them both face their own "demons" and make choices they would not normally have made.
We also meet a few of Liora and Lucky's friends. There's Corrine, the shy, overweight girl that has befriended Liora and never questioned her strange need to always be home by dark. There's Bones, who is Lucky's best friend but also has feelings for her. Corrine kind of annoys me. She's very filled with self-doubt, but we don't see much more of her than that. Bones is easily the most lovable character in this book. He's that guy who is always your best friend but wishes he was more. Gorgeous and seductive, due to him being an inccubus, he's hard for anyone to resist.
Then there's Tatiana, Liora and Lucky's guardian. She is a witch who tries her hardest to steer the girls in the right direction. To help them find peace, love and happiness by showing them they must look inside themselves to see what is really there.
I like that you really see both Lucky and Liora grow during this book. They change and become accepting of their certain fate as two distinct beings living in one body. They learn to love and to open themselves up to the possibility that they can be whole, even while living the two separate lives.
The only issue I had with this book was that I really cannot picture Lucky/Liora in my mind. Aside from the cover picture, I can't see her in my mind. To me she is not described in enough detail. This is something I really like to see in a book. I want to be able to picture the characters in my mind so I know exactly what they look like.
I give this book a strong 3.5, maybe even a 4 out of 5. It was a very enjoyable read and I look forward to the next book in the series.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next Prev
▲Top▲